Achieving Excellence On and Off the Field
We believe that all youth should have access to high-quality sports programs and to academic learning opportunities. As a result, it is of the utmost importance that our athletes and parents buy in to our academic philosophy and culture that we are building here at Heart of the City.
We want our kids to achieve excellence both on and off the field. Because there are often barriers for kids on the path to higher education, we at Heart of the City seek to support our kids and bridge that gap as much as we can. We believe it is essential that youth are exposed to the resources and academic opportunities that will allow them to create a positive and successful future for themselves.
What we offer high school students:
- Access to tutors in four key areas: math, science, history and English
- Monthly report card checks
- Heart of the City follows Illinois High School Sports Association’s Academic Guidelines. Students must be passing five classes to be eligible. If they are failing two or more classes, they need to see a tutor through us.
- Academic milestones must be met in order to keep playing time.
- SAT prep courses during the summer for incoming Juniors
- Younger players are also welcome to attend but priority will be given to students who will be taking the SAT sooner.
- College showcase tournaments
- Online player profiles for college soccer recruitment created with Hudl software (includes curated video highlights).
- Connections to college coaches for ID camps and recruiting
- In-house college fair with our coaches’ contacts
- Coordinated college visit outings
- Financial assistance with college application fees if needed.
- College-readiness courses at CLC and ISAC:
- “Plan, Study & Excel” at CLC: Offered during the summer for graduating seniors
- “College Knowledge” at CLC: Offered during the summer for grades 9-11
- Volunteer/Job opportunities
- College Planning for Seniors
- Build college timeline
- College search
- Assistance with college applications
- Assistance with FAFSA filing
- Assistance with applying for student loans
- Assistance with applying for scholarships
- Admission essay assistance
- Scholarship essay assistance
What we require:
- It is mandatory for all senior athletes to attend at least ONE college visit, prescheduled by Heart of the City. There will be at least one visit scheduled during Fall 2019 for high school girls, and one visit scheduled during Spring 2019 for high school boys.
- It is mandatory for all high school athletes to attend one internal college fair (pre-scheduled by Heart of the City Jan/Feb 2020).
Congratulations to our 2019 seniors!
- Claudia - Round Lake High School; attending College of Lake County, majoring in Sports Psychology
- Crystal - Waukegan High School; Enlisting in the Army
- Denise - Waukegan High School; attending Kalamazoo College in Michigan, majoring in Chemistry
- Desareih - Waukegan High School; attending College of Lake County, majoring in Kinesiology
- Emmanuel - Waukegan High School; attending College of Lake County, majoring in HVAC
- Jennifer - Zion-Benton Township High School; attending College of Lake County, transferring and majoring in Nursing
- Miguel - Zion-Benton Township High School; attending Robert Morris University, majoring in Culinary Arts
- Yatziry - Waukegan High School; Enlisting in the Army
Congratulations to HOTC Elite athletes Claudia (left) and Desareih (right) who officially signed to play soccer on scholarship at the College of Lake County! We couldn't be more proud!
2019 College Visits:
Carthage College (Kenosha, WI) - March 29
UW-Milwaukee - March 27
Bryant & Stratton College (Wauwatosa, WI) - March 27
DePaul University (Chicago) - January 14
Tutors available in math, science, history and English.
Please email Andre for more details: email@example.com.
Referee Training Clinic, Jan. 26-27, 2019
We hosted this clinic through the Illinois Soccer Referee Committee, and 26 of our athletes earned their official certifications!
Working as a referee will allow our athletes to earn extra income, gain job experience, and learn about soccer from a new perspective. Thank you to our supporters for making this possible!
Soccer Academy Summer League coaches (left) and referees (right)!